Castlefield Recruitment are delighted to be partnering with Sheffield City Council who are looking to recruit multiple roles within their Finance and Commercial Services Department. These roles will be supported by a highly experienced leadership team and offer clear progression opportunities within a structure with a track record of internal promotion and career development.
The Council is the fourth largest local authority in the UK providing services to a population of over 560,000 people. It has a Revenue Budget of £1.2bn per year and the Capital Budget of c.£200m per year is being utilised on a number of high profile City Centre redevelopment projects.
The Council has 84 elected Councillors with 3 Councillors each for the 28 wards. The Council itself has approximately 7,500 employees.
The Finance and Commercial Services Department is responsible for maintaining financial control, and, ensuring value for money by providing financial and commercial advice to those teams delivering services in one of the most challenging periods in recent times.
The Finance and Commercial Services Department is currently made up of 350 staff comprising finance, procurement specialists and a substantial income and payments operation collecting council tax and business rates, and, distributing £180m of Housing Benefit every year, organised across 5 key areas;
Sheffield City Council are looking to identify candidates for three key roles in their Finance and Commercial Services Department
Systems Accountant (Assistant Finance Manager Grade 8) – £34,788 – £38,890 + Local Government benefits scheme
The Systems Accountant role represents a highly attractive career opportunity for a part qualified/qualified Accountant to join a forward thinking team.
The post represents a key role within the Systems & Training area of the Accounting and Infrastructure team which is responsible for the production of financial results, budget monitoring and reporting and the operation of the Council’s financial systems
Responsibilities will include;
• Advise on best practice relating to financial systems, processes, polices & procedures, and identify where these can be improved to better meet the needs of the Council.
• Devise, support and deliver initiatives which enhance the quality of the Council’s Chart of Accounts structure and its use.
• Use data analysis and analytical skills to understand the operations in a service and to recommend a solution that meets the needs of the service and the wider organisation.
• Develop, plan and deliver training in a variety of settings, including on-line, including coaching of non-Finance Managers in aspects of Financial Management.
• Deliver practical assistance to service accounting teams in the implementation of new systems and procedures or special exercises.
• Provide practical assistance to finance teams to support the introduction of new accounting and reporting concepts such as Activity Based Costing, Business Intelligence software tools and Profitability Analysis.
Graduate Trainee Accountant (Accountant Grade 6 – £26,511 + fully funded CIPFA training package + Local Government benefits scheme
The Graduate Trainee Accountant roles will provide the opportunity to gain experience in public sector finance, working in a variety of areas within Sheffield City Council’s Finance and Commercial Service.
The three year CIPFA training programme and work responsibilities may include involvement in;
• Commercial advice and information
• Financial accounting
• Management accounting
• Capital programme monitoring
• Project advice and control
• Internal Audit
• Procurement and Supply Chain
The Finance and Commercial Services department is based in Sheffield City Centre which is easily accessible by road and public transport including train, tram and bus. The Council is currently working from home in line with Covid 19 restrictions. It is developing its new accommodation policy which will most likely be a hybrid form of home and office working.
Want to find out more about working for Sheffield City Council?
Download the candidate pack and get all the information you need to ensure this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Click the link button to download.
To apply please send us your CV by clicking the button below
Alternatively, book in a call with one of our specialist recruitment consultants to find out more about the role and the employer.